Thursday, July 17, 2008

Taking Stock at the Halfway Mark

I'm at the halfway point between my last birthday and the next one and so I thought I'd review where I am vs. where I'd like to be. For my New Years "intentions", I made up a list of goals I wanted to work towards for 2008. I've still got six months to go, but let's take a look at how I'm doing so far:

1. Earn more money - As it stands now, I'm earning LESS money than when I wrote that. But give me another month or so and I'm sure I'll make good on that!

2. Find a new place to live - Apartment building issues still remain a problem. Some idiotic wenches were rapping at my door at 4:45 am a couple of weeks ago because they had my apartment (number 7) confused with the one next door (number 6).

Memo to Morons: If you're not sure which apartment you're going to, do NOT be knocking on a stranger's door at 4:45 am! This is just common sense and common courtesy, people!

Anyway, intention number two is contingent on completing intention number one...

3. Get out more and meet more people - Eh, I'd give myself a "C" on this one. Need to work harder!

4. Read more - This is the ONE intention I have actually been able to follow through on! Books I've read so far this year:

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon
Until I Find You by John Irving
The Sidewalk Artist by Gina Buonaguro and Janice Kirk
The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie

and I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Review to follow soon!)


That's ten books in about six months--not too shabby, although nowhere near as impressive as my blogging buddy Elisabeth.

My last "intention" was:

5. Eat plenty of peanut butter!

And I've succeeded in fulfilling that one as well.

To celebrate my half birthday, I:

picked up prescriptions at the drugstore, checked out a new book (The Sweet Hereafter by Russell Banks) from the library, washed my car, took my car in for an oil change--and went to see Wall*E, which was totally enchanting (Review to follow!).

Hmmm--I wonder if I should go to the store and look for some half birthday cake...

2 comments:

  1. Happy half birthday! I'm a little late on your other anniversary, so happy blogiversary too!

    ReplyDelete